Thursday, December 22, 2011

Walking, Finger Foods & 16 Weeks

Natalie is literally walking all over the place now! It’s so strange to see my tiny, little person wandering around on two feet with such precision- she’s become a pro in no time at all. She took her first steps just days after her birthday, and then about two weeks later, she started making cautious stretches here and there between pieces of furniture and things. And then almost immediately, that turned into full-blown walking, no assistance needed. It really is such a milestone for her and for us. It really makes me realize that she’s growing up so fast! She doesn’t really need much of my help anymore, which makes me sad…

We’re also well into the weaning process and it’s going smoothly, which is a relief. I was worried that she would refuse anything but the boob, since she’s always been such a fan. We started around her birthday by adding whole milk to her bottles when Eric fed her and then we started gradually increasing the amount. And now, about six weeks later, I’m down to only nursing her before bed and sometimes during the night or early morning. Otherwise, she seems to enjoy her milk bottles just fine.

She’s also eating a wider variety of foods, although we’re still very cautious what we offer her since she doesn’t have quite enough teeth to chew very well. She does have ten teeth however! Two molars poked their way through about a week ago and then she has the four on top and bottom. That’s another milestone that makes me realize just how big she’s getting! One issue we’re still having however is that she often refuses her “mush” food once she sees us or other people eating “big people” food. So we’ve had to start feeding her ahead of time or pretend that her mush food is just the best thing ever and then offer it to her. Sometimes that works.

The other night when we were having dinner- salmon, rice and peas- Natalie was very eager to eat what we had, so we gave her a few peas. And they were a complete hit! She must have eaten about two adult servings of peas, she just kept signing “more!” We figured it wasn’t like she was asking for more candy, so we gave her as much as she wanted. The salmon, on the other hand, she wasn’t too sure about. She kind of spit it out, shoved it aside and then looked up at us
for more peas.

I had my 16-week check-up on the 19th. I met with midwife Warren once again, who delivered Natalie. Unfortunately they were running really far behind, but luckily Natalie was content enough to hang out in her stroller and munch on some cheerios as we waited. They weighed me, took my blood pressure and then it was just a quick check-up. We did get to hear baby’s heartbeat though, which is always nice- it was 155 this time around. And just like with Natalie, it seems I haven’t gained any weight yet. I think it’s because my usual sweet-tooth just isn’t in gear when I’m pregnant, which is probably a good thing anyway. The midwife seemed pleased with my progress and we scheduled another visit for late January.

Our “big” ultrasound is coming up soon- it’s scheduled for January 11th. I’m not convinced that we should find out what we’re having, but Eric on the other hand, is eager to find out. So we’ll have to discuss that a little more and come to an agreement. My thought is that we already have all the baby stuff we need, and should it be a boy, all we’ll need to get are a few more boy-colored cloth diapers and some clothes. Plus, that element of surprise would make this birth special. Natalie’s was special because she was the first and it was just so exciting because it was a completely new experience for all of us. But now that we kind of know what to expect more or less, I’d kind of like the surprise. But then again, all births are unique and exciting! Maybe I’ll cave at the appointment and we’ll end up finding out. Who knows!

In other news, our househunt is currently on hold. It’s been so frustrating! I decided that we needed to focus on enjoying the holidays for the moment and hope that the rental market will be a little more favorable once we start a serious search in January. I’d like to think that people would put off advertising rentals during the holidays anyway, and that may be why there isn’t much out there. But I’ve also realized that there are plenty of families looking to rent right now and rentals are going very quickly, and often for more than the asking price. I hope we’re able to find something affordable that will suit our growing family…

No comments:

Post a Comment