Natalie has just about a full mouth of teeth now! We’re just waiting on two bottom eye teeth to finish poking their way through. It’s strange to see her with so many teeth… reminds me again of how big she’s getting. She really is a little toddler now I suppose- I’ve been so reluctant to officially call her that. She’s still a baby to me!
We’ve also transitioned to exclusively solid finger foods. She likes scrambled eggs, soft boiled veggies, pasta, and lots of fruits like grapes, bananas and oranges. But she’s also refusing lots of things all of the sudden, I’m thinking because of the texture. She won’t eat cooked rice or chicken, which she loved before in pureed form. But I continue to offer it to her in hopes that she’ll start eating it again. A couple weeks ago, I picked out some toddler forks and spoons for her to practice with and she’s been doing quite well with them! She mostly stabs at her bowl until she gets something on her fork, but then she carefully brings it to her mouth and eats it. I’ve seen her do this with both hands, so I’m not sure yet whether she’ll be left or right-handed.
In new baby news, I felt her hiccup for the first time last Wednesday night- we were out to eat with JoEllen and Patrick when I noticed this odd feeling down low. Hiccups are really unmistakable! I’ve felt many ever since, just like with Natalie. I always comment that I feel pretty much the same this time around, even though I always hear that every pregnancy is unique. However, this pregnancy has been slightly different in that I’ve been miserable with heartburn! I had some with Natalie, but not until quite a bit later. I don’t feel much like eating since everything causes that horrendous burning sensation and sometimes it’s so intense that it’s nauseating. So I’ve been eating lots of ice-cream- that’s one thing that sounds decent.
I had my 29/30 week check-up this past Monday, the 26th. I met with my midwife once again and she seemed rather concerned about my lack of weight gain. I was surprised, given all the ice-cream I’ve been eating! (I don’t use a scale at home, so it’s always news to me when I get weighed). I have been trying to eat well, but I know I can always do better. And trying to keep up with Natalie all day is a work out. So I was instructed to eat more protein at every meal (and plenty of ice-cream too, for the heartburn). Then I had a quick ultrasound to confirm baby is head down, although I had no doubt of it because of her frequent bouts of hiccups- I can very easily tell where her head is. She looked so big on the ultrasound screen! It’s amazing how much she’s grown in the last 10 weeks or so, since I last saw her in ultrasound form. Then I talked with my midwife about our plans for Natalie during the birth, since she cannot be with us in the hospital overnight. We’ll have to come up with a good plan for her and most likely enlist the help of Auntie and grandma to help watch her.
We’ve decided it’s time to start setting up the house for new baby. I plan to borrow Elaine’s bassinet for a while, since it’s on wheels and can be easily moved from room to room. That’s one thing that I regret about the Co-sleeper that we have- it was great for nighttime, and it’s good for traveling as well, but it’s use is kind of limited since it’s so large and immobile. I wish I would have registered for the slightly smaller one on wheels instead. I also have to get our infant swing back from Elaine- luckily she’s been nice enough to store some of our things for us, since we were so tight on space at the old condo! Having a garage now is really a great thing.
I do feel kind of bad that new baby doesn’t have many new items of her own… pretty much everything is being re-used! I bought her a new coming home outfit and a couple other clothing items, but Elaine and I have tubs and tubs of baby clothes that were hardly used! I feel like there was so much set-up and preparation to do last time and now there’s really not much at all. But maybe this is a good thing, so I can focus instead on the transition to two and enjoying the newborn stage once again- I’m looking forward to soaking it in. It does go by so fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment