Tuesday, September 7, 2010

30 Weeks

Unfortunately the news of the week is that there has been a pertussis outbreak at my work. The medical director of the clinic tested positive, which has had a big impact on all of our staff and patients. All staff have to wear masks for at least one week, and all patients have to be informed. Luckily I already had my vaccination, but it is a little scary to think about because the vaccination doesn’t fully protect against the illness. I wish this could have happened later- when I was already on maternity leave!

I finally booked our babymoon! We’ll be staying at the Cliffs Resort in Pismo Beach for a long weekend in October. The weekend that Eric has off will be right after our 4-year anniversary, so it will be a nice Anniversary trip as well. I also found a great photographer to take our maternity portraits while we’re down there. I was searching the internet for a photographer in the San Luis Obispo area when I stumbled upon a Cal Poly student’s blog and was very impressed! I emailed her and luckily she was available to photograph us and her fee is very reasonable, especially since she’ll be giving us all of our photos on a CD (most photographers require prints to be ordered directly through them or a third-party printing service, which can be very expensive!).

Christina, Garrett, Naomi and Heidi stopped by on Friday night. Christina was kind enough to bring me one of her extra support pillows (to help me sleep) and a package of disposable diaper liners for my new Flip diapers. Naomi had fun pushing around our new stroller and I had the chance to hold Heidi for a while as we all chatted, but she seemed to fuss quite a bit... Christina would then take her and run through the list of possible things she might need- feeding, diaper change, burping, blanket, different position, etc. In the meantime, her little head would turn red and she would clench her fists as she squirmed and hollered. She eventually calmed every time, but my heart broke nearly every time her cry and obvious frustration level would intensify. I was really surprised that her diaper required changing about five or six times while she was with us! However, she did completely sleep through dinner at Chili’s, which was great!

We spent Saturday relaxing at home, which was a good thing because my stomach was irritable for the most part of the day. I’ve noticed that my stomach is more sensitive to what I eat again, much like it was during my first trimester. So, I’ve been trying to stick to foods I know are bland enough for my stomach to handle. While I’m on the topic, many have been happy to learn that I’ve finally reached the 10 pound gain mark! I was under the impression that I needed to gain at least 25 pounds, but so far, it’s been a slow start! I just hope she’s growing and developing as she should. Anyway, after some laundry and television watching together, I watched as Eric installed our new car seat in the Murano. It fits nicely in the backseat, but it’s still surprising how much space those infant car seats occupy! Sadly, my passenger side chair can’t recline much anymore :(. But as long as she’s safe and cozy in her little seat, we’re happy.


We were invited over to Mindy and Andre’s house Saturday night to play cards. We ended up playing Mexican train instead along with Lisa and Peter, which was really funny. Everyone had different rules from playing before, but we eventually figured out a game plan. I actually ended up winning after 12 rounds! It was nice to visit with friends, but one thing I realized when we were talking about the Sharks opening game was that I scheduled our babymoon during the exact same weekend that Eric had wanted to go. Oops. I told him to try to switch his weekends off next month and if he is able to, I would try to reschedule our trip. I knew about it in the back of my mind, but in my defense, he didn’t bring it up when I told him the dates I was going to book the resort, spa, and photographer!

We visited with grandma on Sunday night. She heads back home to Arizona this week. After dinner, we showed everyone our new stroller and car seat system and everyone seemed impressed with how compact and easy it was to use. Then Stacey gave us a “Baby’s First Christmas” Hallmark ornament and the grandmas gave us baby’s completed bonnet to take home.

Eric had to work on the holiday yesterday, but I had the day off, which was nice. I shopped around a little at the baby store and even found a few pairs of maternity pants on clearance at Old Navy! They’ll be perfect to wear for our maternity portrait session.

No comments:

Post a Comment